Eber Culver

Born on September 6, 1824 in Auburn, N.Y., Eber Culver was one of Williamsport's foremost architects. Culver was commissioned by Peter Herdic to design his first class Herdic Hotel back in 1864, and in addition to the hotel, his architectural designs can be seen all over the city. His contributions to Williamsport include:

GRIT building (original part)
The Weightman Block (Fourth & Campbell Streets)
First Baptist Church (original building)
Trinity Episcopal Church (supervising architect)
Old City Hall on Pine Street (designer)
Lycoming Opera House (destroyed by fire)
Northern Central Trust Co. (since demolished)
Hays Block (Pine & West Fourth Streets)
Hess Block
Metropolitan Block
Schools on Erie Ave. (Memorial) and Penn Street



- A.D. Hermance, 405 West Fourth Street
- N.B. Bubb, 407 West Fourth Street, Herdic House
- H.R. Rhoads, 522 West Fourth Street
- F. Embick, 531 West Fourth Street
- E.A. Rowley, 703 West Fourth Street, Convent-
- Elias Deemer, 711 West Fourth Street
- Mahlon Fisher, 821 West Fourth Street, YWCA site
- F. Coleman, 1117 West Fourth Street
- J. Heilman, 309 Elmira Street
- J.B. Emery, 303 Campbell Street
- Dr. Follmer, 777 West Third Street
- Charles Cochran, 804 Glenwood Avenue
- Fred Miller, 820 Glenwood Avenue

Eber Culver lived and was educated in the Auburn, N.Y. area until he was 16 when he moved to Dayton Ohio. While in Dayton for three years, Culver learned the carpentry trade. He then returned to Auburn and worked as a carpenter and builder. On October 12, 1847, Culver married Ann Hermance of Saratoga County, N.Y., and one year later he heard the calling of the gold rush and went cross country to California in search of gold. After mining in California from 1848 to 1851, Culver decided to move back to the East Coast and settled in Williamsport in 1854 and built a sawmill for Web Canfield and Co. In 1863 he formed a partnership with George P. Barber which lasted for 12 years. During this time period, the two had a flourishing business in the manufacturing of mill supplies. At the end of his 12-year partnership with Barber, Culver focused more of his attention toward the designing and constructing of buildings which ultimately became his main interest. It was then that he designed and constructed many of the above structures. In addition to his architectural work, Culver was very active in the Williamsport community. He served on the borough council, the Williamsport City Council, two terms on the school board, and was an active member of the First Baptist Church. Culver died in his Williamsport residence (738 West Fourth Street) on Saturday, October 23, 1911 at the age of 87.

Back to Main Page